1) What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Stephanie Whittaker but my artist name is “S. Whittaker.” I was born in Colon, Panama and moved to Flatbush, Brooklyn NY at the age of 6. Today I currently reside in Harlem, NY
2) When did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I knew that I wanted to be an artist since I was a little girl but I was unsure of how I could make a career out of it. I’d never seen a living artist successful or celebrated so there was no blueprint for me to follow. Thankfully, through mentorship from my manager Robyn Willard and hard work, I am now able to live out my dreams and see a sustainable career for an artist such as myself.
3) Are you a full time artist or are you involved with other creative jobs?
I am a full time Artist 100%. I am a firm believer of devoting all me energy and focus to one thing at a time. Of course I have many ideas and goals I wish to accomplish but for now I have tunnel vision for art.
4) What has been the most rewarded achievement for you as being an artist? The most rewarding achievement has been having my first art show at the top of the garden curated by Robyn. Having the first ever Instagram art show and speaking to the youth in schools as a role model to help guide them towards a better direction and career focus.
5) What message do you want to give out to the world with your artwork?
Be bold! Be Innovative! Be inspiring! I’d like for my art to be the catalyst for the “new wave” of inspiration and ideas. I think we live in a state of replicating what’s already been done. Art is limitless without boundaries and that’s what I want people to get from looking at my artistry.
6) Do you have any advice for someone who wants to be in your shoes?
Stay out of my shoes lol. Seriously! Create your own lane, whatever that might be and make your own rules. A custom shoe will always fit better…