If you’re like me then you know I always love finding creative young thinkers on my social media. I stumble upon this lovely lady by the name of Sherrill Defoe on Instagram and I had to share it with you all. I hope you guys enjoy this interview and BUY HER ARTWORK. We must help our fellow creative artist continue to make a living at what they are passionate about. I absolutely love Sherrill artworks and I hope you do too!
1) What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Sherrill Defoe, I was born on the wonderfully beautiful island of Curacao and moved to the Netherlands at age 17 to attend college. Netherlands is where I currently reside.
3) When did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I was very young when I had that thought (but it was always a thought). Growing up on a small island in the Caribbean being an artist is not something that you would easily pursue. You are taught to do well in school so you can become a doctor, lawyer, businessmen/woman etc. But I was always a creative child, but growing up I never thought of pursuing it. It’s actually this year after getting a lot of positive feedbacks on my paintings I thought “hey let’s try this out”.
4) Are you a full-time artist or are you involved with other creative projects?
Actually, I’m supposed to be a full-time student… LOL. I’m in my last year of college. So when I receive my diploma I’ll be able to expand my horizons.
5) What has been the most rewarded achievement for you being an artist?
The most rewarded achievement for me is selling my work. Knowing that someone would like my creations that much that they would want to pay money to have it in their homes means the world to me!
6) What message do you want to give out to the world with your artwork?
Black women are gorgeous, sexy, beautiful creatures.
7) Do you have any advice for someone who wants to be in your shoes?
Be unique in what you bring to the table, be better or be different. And do not… I repeat do NOT give up! Do YOU. When you have a dream stick to it and believe in it. Don’t discuss it with everyone because they all have a different taste or advice. So believe in YOU and do YOU. Social media can be your best friend if you use it correctly!
8) If someone wanted to get in contact with you, how should they reach you? (mention social networks too)
- You can E-mail me at email@example.com for any questions about my art.
- Follow me on Instagram @defoe2you
- Check out my work on my blog; http://defoe2you.blogspot.nl/